Monday, October 19, 2015

Famadihana

Famadihana means 'turning of the bones' and is a traditional practice done in some regions of Madagascar. At my site, Famadihana is typically done in September. I unfortunately missed it this year but attended last year and forgot to write about it. How I understand Famadihana performed at my site is how Vola explained it to me. If a somebody passes away in an another area that is not the town they are from, family members wrap the body in white cloth then place the body in a tomb near the area the person died. Then come September, before the ceremony, family members retrieve the body, wrap it in new white cloth and bring the body back to the hometown. Then during the ceremony, family members dance while carrying the body over their heads in place it in a tomb. Only family members may enter the tomb during the famadihana.

The ceremony I attended last September was a festival and celebration of the deceased. Many booths were lined up on the road leading to the tomb selling snacks, street food, and alcohol. Many people were watching, drinking, and dancing. Family members participating in in the ceremony wore red. A man stood on top of the tomb pointing a shotgun at the sky. A few people made speeches then the bodies were carried into the tomb. The tombs are painted white with brightly colored accents and it is taboo to point at a tomb or take pictures of it. This was a unique cultural ceremony that I felt honored to be a part of and I think it made other community members happy to see me there paying my respects.

You know you're a PCV when:
-Time doesn't mean much. A volunteer lives close to you if she is within a three hour drive
-You understand that stuff is just stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment