Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Loss of a Community Member

This morning I visited my AC, Noro, whose 7 year son unexpectedly passed away one week ago. When a family member dies, the Malagasy spend time together mourning with just other family members. After a couple days, friends of the family visit individually or in small groups to pay their respect. The visitors say 'we've come to wipe your tears,' then hats are removed, certain words are exchanged, and no one looks at anyone in particular. Money is collected into an envelope prior to the visit, and then placed on the floor at the foot of the person closest to the deceased family member. Once this is complete, the room relaxes and people look at one another again.

 Throughout the speech, Noro, the mother, did not say one word.  She looked numb. I wondered how many people have visited her and how many times she listened to her parents explain how her child died. Though the support of the visitors is greatly needed in a difficult time.

After the visit, I walked the 2 hours home with a couple other ACs. I wish I had the language skills to express my sorrow for her loss. Although even if I did have the language, would I have known what to say? The experience made me feel like a part of my community as we collectively mourned the loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment