Monday, March 31, 2014

March 15 - I'm Alive: First Month in Country

I apologize for my lack of posting. I haven't had an internet connection or a computer to post from (the computer I brought died within the first two weeks). My mom has done a wonderful job keeping you guys updated from our weekly phone calls, and a big thank you goes to her. There will be a repeat of information here so bear with me. So much has happened in the first four weeks that I am going to categorize events for all of our sakes.
 
From Minneapolis to Mantasoa
After a quick and teary goodbye, I boarded the flight to Philadelphia. Staging was long and I desperately needed a snack but it was so good to meet the other people in my stage. There were 20 health volunteers and 18 agriculture volunteers making 38 total (though one person did decide to go home after a few days in country so now we have 37). I liked meeting people who had similar goals for the Peace Corps, and for the first time, I didn't have to explain why I made this life altering choice. We arrived in Mantasoa on Wednesday night after a long couple of days with very little sleep. We smelled pretty bad by then, and the flight attendant sprayed air freshener during our last flight. We spent the first three days at the Peace Corps Training Center (PCTC) that is located on Lake Mantasoa. Everything is very green and the lake reminds me of home. We listened to a few orientations and several crash course language sessions before we packed up and moved to our home stays.

Homestay
My host family is wonderful! I have a neny (mom), dada, sister who is 16, and brother who is 20. My dada is a carpenter and my neny is a homemaker and great cook. They have a beautiful house with two floors, electricity, and indoor bathroom with a toilet and bathtub but no sink or running water. I was very surprised with the bathroom as every other Peace Corps Trainee's (PCT) family has a kabone (outhouse) and ladosy (outdoor shower). I felt like a child at first because my family had to teach me how to use the toilet, take a shower, and wash dishes and clothes without using running water. My language was very limited which terrified me to move in with a Malagasy family after three days in country. However, neny, my sister, and my brother do speak some English. My dada speaks French so that was our common language in the beginning. Still, I made sure to carry my dictionary everywhere I went. My host family is so patient with me which I very much appreciate!

Language
We have about four hours of language every day. Language classes consist of 2-4 people with one language instructor. I was very frustrated with language during that first week because I thought I would pick it up quicker. Since then I've learned to be patient with myself and the language with come with time and effort. I slowly understand more and more with my host family, and I'm able to hold longer conversations with the locals each week. I try to celebrate the small successes, and reflect on past conversations correcting why I said wrong. I have made many funny mistakes. For example, I was trying to say that my brother is married. I meant to say 'Manam-bady izy' which translates to 'he has a spouse.' Instead I said, 'Manam-body izy' which translates to 'he has a butt.' I have to carefully watch my pronunciation.

Food
The Malagasy are the highest consumers of rice per person in the world. They have rice with almost every meal and it is the largest portion in their plate. An example meal for my host family consists of white rice, sausage, and cucumber and onion salad, with pineapple for dessert. For breakfast we usually have fried bread and coffee. The structure of the meal took some getting used to. Everything gets mixed together on my plate (cucumbers with sausage on them for instance). Also, my host family eats a lot of peanut butter. We make it ourselves and it is the best peanut butter I have ever had. I eat it with my rice at every meal. Eating fruit for dessert was also an adjustment, and more than once I've eaten sweet potato with honey for dessert. Interesting combination.

My Site
I found out my site in the first week. I wrote an essay listing the top ten picks and why I would be the best volunteer for my number one choice, and I also listed my bottom three sites. I got my top choice! I'm not going to say the exact name of my town but I will live in the Lake Aloatra region. Lake Aloatra is the largest lake in Madagascar located a few hours north of the capital. The area is known as the 'rice basket' because the area produces roughly 50% (don't quote me on that percent) of Madagascar's rice. I've heard the area is very beautiful and hot. I'm excited to move there, and I will be living at that site longer than I've lived anywhere else in the past six years!

So I am constantly making observations about myself and other PCTs. I know I will change dramatically throughout my service and grow more than I can imagine at this point. In the meantime, I will note some early observable behavior changes that I or other PCTs have done at the end of each blog post. Enjoy!

You know you’re a PCT when:
  • You carry toilet paper with you everywhere you go-in multiple pockets, pants, and bra
  • You are jealous of or show off your sink or toilet despite no running water ("You have a kitchen sink!? Lucky!")
  • You desperately look forward to 10:00am snack every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment