Sunday, February 9, 2014

12 Hours

So far, it has been 663 days since I started my application (I typed the dates into an online calculator), and now tomorrow morning, I board my flight to Philadelphia for staging. Staging is an orientation where all 35 of the health and agriculture volunteers meet for the first time, participate in ice breakers, and listen to an overview of the Peace Corps core expectations and the programs in Madagascar. We also fill out more paperwork and receive our anti-Malaria medication. Then we all check out of the hotel and board a bus at 2:00am heading for JFK airport. The next couple of days will be long and filled with traveling as we don’t reach the training site in Mantasoa until Wednesday night. Keep in mind that I may not have regular access to the internet for several weeks and may not be able to update my blog. Remember that no news is good news.

Last weekend, I had my going away party. It was so much fun and I really appreciate all of those who made it and the well wishes from those who couldn’t. At the party, I set out notecards that people could write memories, advice, joke, or whatever else they wanted. I’m waiting to read the notecards until either the plane ride to Madagascar or when I need a pick-me-up once in country. A certain group of boys told me that they wrote jokes on the cards but didn’t actually write the punch line… thanks for that.

Since I am such a planner, I really didn't have many errands or shopping to do this last week. My time was mostly filled with many lunch or dinner dates, and I’m kind of looking forward to not eating out for a while (did I actually just say that?). Normally, I'm not a procrastinator but I waited to pack until last minute. I absolutely dreaded packing because I was so concerned with the weight of my bags. It took me four and a half hours and one repack but the task is done. My bags come in at a whopping 78 pounds for the two checked bags and 35 pounds for the two carry-ons. Besides my packed Peace Corps gear, my stuff is confined to just a few bins located in a closet in my parent’s house. It’s crazy to think that I completely downsized all my belongings from my apartment in Eau Claire to such a small space.

Applying to the Peace Corps has been such a long process and I feel very ready to go. I haven’t had any freak outs or second thoughts (and only one meltdown at my going away party but I blame the alcohol). I am nervous for many things such as learning the language, meeting my host family, lack of some amenities, and missing friends and family. But I am excited to live in the moment because for months my mind has been on the Peace Corps and Madagascar, and I haven’t really been present. I’m excited to meet my stage mates and the current volunteers as we all have been so supportive of each other on Facebook. I’m super excited to begin working again since it’s been three months since I’ve had a day job. Thank you all who have read my blog so far, and now the real journey begins.


No comments:

Post a Comment